Processor/Handler Certification: Processing is any modification of a raw agricultural product. Handling is to sell, process or package agricultural products. The NOP standard requires processors and handlers of organic products to be certified. (Distributors of packaged organic product and final retailers are typically exempted from organic certification.
You will want to read:
Practice Manual This is a 94-page PDF to read online or to download. If you prefer, you can receive a paper copy in the mail for $10, plus any forms you may need. Call 568-6030 to order
We urge anyone interested in certifying their processing or handling operation to first speak with Kate Newkirk (568-4142 Ext 5286; email firstname.lastname@example.org) or Joan Cheetham (568-4142 Ext 5622; email@example.com). It will be a time saver.
There are instances when a farm operation will need to complete a handling plan and these include on-farm poultry slaughtering and other value-added processing or handling (e.g., bottling milk or fermenting vegetables). We offer a simplified form for some simple on-farm processing. Please talk to us so we can direct you to the appropriate forms.
Below are the forms we use to certify processing and handling.
- Organic Handling Plan. This form combines the Certification Application with your Organic Handling Plan.
- [On-farm processors who are doing relatively simple things to their products may be able to use our On-Farm Processing Supplement as part of their overall Organic System Plan. Please contact our office to see if this can apply to you.]
- Multi-ingredient Product Profile. Use this form to detail the composition, processing, and label category of each multi-ingredient organic product you make. If you offer only single ingredient products, you need the next form and not this one.
- Single-ingredient Product Profile. Use this form to detail the processing and labeling of each single-ingredient organic product you make.
- Materials List. Use this form to identify all the materials and inputs you use in the operation of your processing facility. Cleaning agents, filtering aids, disinfectants, pest control materials, and equipment lubricants are among the materials that must be identified and approved.
- National List Annotation Verification. This form is for ingredients or processing aids that must meet additional specifications.
- Excluded Methods Verification Form. This form is for non-organic ingredients (which are only allowed under special circumstances) that must also be made without the use of excluded methods (genetically modified organism, ionizing radiation, sewage sludge).
- Verification of Organic Status for Retail Organic Ingredient Purchases Form. This is for instances where organic ingredient is purchased from bulk bins at a retail establishment.
- Fees Form 2017
- Rebate (Cost Share) Explanation Document
- Endorsement Form for Processors and Handlers
Organic Slaughterhouse Certification Guidance
Slaughterhouse Supplement Form